Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Being a "good person"

"I have a big heart"
"I am a good person"

Aside from calling yourself tolerant, both of these comments are among the most absurd things to say.

Are you good at something? I mean really, really good at something? Maybe chess. Video games. Billiards. I'm not-basically I have no enjoyable or unique skills. I'm horrible at chess, terrible at pool, and I lack the discipline to really excel at anything more than Fallout 3. Anyway, back to you.

If you are really, really good at something do you go around telling people you are better than them? You wouldn't, you'd simply know. LeBron James doesn't tell people he's a better basketball player than they are because he doesn't need to. It's just known. If you say you are a "good person" you automatically proved you aren't because a "good person" wouldn't say it. It's like saying you are humble. Truly humble people don't say they are humble. 

Same with the "big heart". I've seen people say they have "big hearts" who cheat on their husbands, ignore their family, and are as ice cold as the White Witch in Narnia. The size of your heart doesn't matter, it's your actions that do. If you hate everyone who doesn't agree with you, spout your anger towards the busboy on Twitter and are constantly talking about how the unfair the world is, you lose the right to say you have a "big heart." 

No comments:

Post a Comment