Saturday, December 29, 2018

Life in the 80's meme

Some thoughts about this meme:
1. Walkmans were horrible devices. You could only bring a few tapes with you at one time, thus severely limiting your music selection. I can bring my entire music library with me wherever I go thanks to iTunes.
2. The World Book encyclopedia was dated the moment it came out. Technology allows us to correct our reference books with new, fresh research in an instant.
3. Atari was great, one of my tattoos is the logo. But now we have a much greater selection of video games.
4. Getting caught with notes in class was always a risk, and you can't pass notes to your girlfriend who goes to a different school or to your husband at work. Texting allows you to do so.
5. Writing letters manually took forever, and mailing them even more time. By the time you got  the letter your life might have changed so much and so rapidly you'd need to write a new one.
6.  MTV was cutting edge, but YouTube allows you to watch the videos you want to whenever you want, with no need to listen to obnoxious DJs or wait for hours watching videos you have no desire to see waiting for one you want to see.
7. Do you know how dangerous road maps were to read while you were driving? Plug in your Garmin, let her tell you where to go. Much safer. Also-those things weren't updated as easily as your GPS is.
8. Being able to get a book instantly virtually anywhere in the world has made libraries obsolete. I can read what I want, when I want, where I want.

Technology rules. Stop being so afraid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment