Monday, January 22, 2018

The flu shot and libertarianism

For some reason, vaccines bring out the worst in everyone. Regular readers (both of them) know my views on vaccines-let's just say I'm pro science, anti "natural cures" and leave it at that. However, I fully support your right to not vaccinate yourself or your kids as long as you accept the risk.

Libertarianism is for grown ups. If you want to be consistent you have to come to conclusions you don't personally like. Conservatives and liberals are happy people because they often twist their views to suit whatever issue comes along. Liberals claim to love "choice" but if a baker chooses to deny services to someone, they are bigoted. Conservatives claim to dislike big government, but when government tells someone who to marry-they strongly support it.

I got the flu shot, but it was later in the season. Better late then never. I accept the risk of getting sick after it (even though that risk is very small), and I'll pay for the consequences if I do. The flu shot should not be mandatory, neither should vaccines. If you want to rely on natural cures and ignore vaccine science, you will pay for the consequences when your luck runs out. Just be sure to tell your child not squirm in their iron lung. 

And just for fun, this is the best page I've read so far that debunks flu shot myths.

No comments:

Post a Comment