Friday, January 5, 2018

Album of the weekend

Pantera-Cowboys from Hell

Like I've mentioned before I'm not the biggest Pantera fan. I can't name all their albums, and I only know their biggest hits. I'm sure I've heard the majority of their songs at friends houses or throughout my life listening to heavy metal but I can't rattle them off or talk about how influential their music has been on me. I'm in the minority and I freely admit that they are without question one of the most popular metal bands from the 90's and their sound (in particular the guitar playing of Dimebag Darrell) has touched a huge amount of heavy metal bands. This album, unlike "Vulgar Display of Power" (Which I think is quite good) is not one of my favorites.

I like the title track off the album and that's pretty much it. Cowboys from Hell has an intense paranormal feel to it, and the rest of the album has that feel but without the same power and intensity. "Cemetery Gates" is just as well known and in fact, I think it's most well known song aside from "Walk" but I think it lacks the overall feeling and consistency of both the above mentioned songs. I don't particularly like the manic depression "slow to fast" style of "Cemetery Gates". I wish it was all faster and more consistent, and that's my feeling about the entire album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment