Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Women's Marches

While I do find the protest marches inspiring and I'm glad there was not any arrests or mass destruction of private property, I'm doubtful that it will accomplish much in the long run.

Obviously, the majority of the people who marched this weekend didn't vote for Trump. They overwhelmingly voted for Hillary, probably close to 70%.The remaining 30% were split between Bernie-third party voters and professional protestors who would show up to protest anything but stayed home on election day. Essentially the protest "spoke to the choir" and "preached to the already converted." It's estimated that 1 out of 100 women in the nation showed up at some march and while I think that might be a bit high, doesn't that mean that 99 out of 100 women didn't show up to one of those protests? I understand that those 99 probably didn't vote for Trump, but some of them certainly did.

It's also interesting to me that for people who preach about diversity, a lot of those women were white and well, biologically women. I thought gender was a social construct (by the way, I think it IS, at least partially, a construct) by proclaiming it a Women's March I think you are excluding people who might be sympathetic to the cause .

No comments:

Post a Comment