Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Post Christmas blues

I've heard before that some people get depressed the day after Christmas. To me, I've always been slightly relieved it's over and we can get back to our daily lives but I admit I'm in the minority and if you are a regular reader to my blog (thank you so much!) you know my issues with Christmas. I have seen many people post that they feel a sense of sadness after Christmas day though.

On the surface of it, you'd think the day after Christmas would be in some way much less stressful than the days building up to it. Most of your friends and family have already enjoyed the opening of gifts, the big formal meal, they've arrived safely and are sometimes still there enjoying the holiday with you. So why do you feel depressed? Sometimes it's because people don't have anything to look forward to after the initial present opening. Obnoxiously, I had relatives who would say "Well, it's all over" after Christmas and I would think "What's with the buzzkill attitude? We know this, and we just got some new toys to play with so can you focus on that instead?"

I think human nature is inclined towards pessimism and complaining. You have to work hard to not give into that side of nature. Too many good people I know have given up and embrace the pessimistic side of their character. A rose would wilt in their hand. If you offer them a glass of lemonade, they'll complain about the lack of sugar in it. If you offer them soda, they'll complain about the sugar. Is it obnoxious? You bet. Instead of focusing on what is over for the Christmas season perhaps we should look at how lucky we are to have spent it with our friends and family. If you don't have friends and family close to you-be glad the season is over anyway and you can get back to doing things you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment