Thursday, January 19, 2017

Democrats skipping the inauguration

I can't blame them, even though it's not something I would do. Some of these men and women sharply disagree with Donald Trump and his policies, it's a bitter pill that he got elected in the first place and having to see him take what is essentially a victory lap must be another kick to the stomach. When you passionately see the world one way and your side has not been successful-you feel lost, isolated and a man or a woman without a country. Believe me, I know how it feels. In past elections I have felt the way many democrats feel right now. The big difference?

No one on the opposing side said the above words to me when I expressed these feelings of loneliness and worry for my country. Is this a bitch fest? No. It's making a bigger point.

In politics, it's always a good idea to ask "Would I behave/think the same way if someone I agreed with did something?" Ask yourself "If Republicans skipped the Obama inauguration in 2008, what would I say, do or think?" This is going to shock and appall you, but I think republicans would suddenly support those skipping the inauguration while democrats would denounce them as traitors and unpatriotic.

A little more compassion and understanding takes effort, and people don't want to do that. The next four years are going to be brutal for people who don't agree with Trump, just like the last eight years were tough on people on didn't support Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment