Saturday, January 28, 2017

How not to communicate online

If you are over the age of ten, don't use emoticons to communicate. I and everyone else expects you to put on big people clothes and talk like an adult. Even online. When I see someone who can't speak in words and uses only emoticons I want to contact the local sheriff and see if you are on a certain list.

Using excessive vulgarity. I curse sometimes and frankly between close friends I don't see a problem with it. Not everyone in 2016 is like an antebellum southern belle who falls to pieces if she hears the words "Damn" or "Hell". I fact, I think it's priggish (a wonderful British word, look it up) to act mortally offended over curse words. However, like everything else in life there is a balance. If you can't communicate without using the F-word every two minutes it might be a sign of rudeness or a lower education level.

Typing everything in capital letters. This shows a sign of raving instability. When you type in all caps virtually no one will take you seriously and the majority of people will just ignore you. I'm not sure why people do this. If they want to be ignored, they could just not go online much. And don't tell me that people "don't care" if others are listening to them. If they didn't care, they wouldn't post anything.

Constant boasting. I am all for talking about how much your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse loves you and how wonderful life is. In fact, I think people who insult others who do that "Oh, your life isn't as a good as you think it is" are jealous and full of envy.  Like Eric Clapton said "It's in the way that you use it". Talking about how rich you are is obnoxious and will often times lead to you getting in bad situations-people asking for money or even worse. Be careful with this one.

Talking about how much you hate being online and how everyone online is a loser-posting this on Facebook makes you a grade A asshole who doesn't realize how foolish it is to talk about how much you hate those losers who go online too much from your Facebook account. 


No comments:

Post a Comment