Thursday, January 12, 2017

Anthony Weiner

I recently watched a great documentary on Amazon. It was called "Weiner" and it was (surprise!) about Anthony Weiner, disgraced politician and all around train wreck. 

Anyway the movie made me cry, in several parts. I have such a huge amount of sympathy for his (now estranged) wife, Huma. Seeing what her husband put her through again and again was absolutely heartbreaking. I do not however, think she is a victim of spousal abuse. Infidelity is bad, it's really bad and it's inexcusable in all ways-but it is not the equal of physical abuse.

You know what else was strange? I began to feel huge sympathy for Anthony too. Like everyone else, I laughed and took glee at his downfall. It's not easy for me to say this, but I was wrong, and I was a total asshole. I don't agree with him on much if anything politically so it was easy for me to laugh at him. I'm really sorry about that now, and yes, I am ashamed of myself. This movie shows a very passionate man who deeply cares about the ideas he has and more importantly, he cares deeply about his fellow citizens. He's a very flawed man who has serious anger issues and can't control his mouth or his sexual desires. Would I vote for him? God no, not under gunpoint. Do I feel much more sympathetic to him after watching this? You bet.


No comments:

Post a Comment