Saturday, January 7, 2017

Gatlinburg thoughts

If there is a better definition of a Christian man, I have yet to see it. A man who lost his wife and two daughters in the Gatlinburg fire is forgiving and praying for the two teenagers who started it.

I can't imagine the pain that the families who lost everything are going though. It should remind all of us how incredibly lucky we are. If anything maybe it'll cause us to become more introspective and to consider ourselves very fortunate. 

The fires were started by two teenagers throwing lit matches on the ground. It is my sincere hope and prayer that the two kids didn't start this fire with the intent to kill people. If they did that, it would cross the line from criminal neglect to sociopath monsters. I can't read minds and I'm not a psychiatrist-so I don't claim to know how their thinking worked. If it turns out their intention was to kill people, then I have no problem locking them up for life. Yes, even teenagers know right from wrong. If they were just stupid kids playing with matches-frankly they should still go to jail but obviously for a much shorter time.

The only positive about this story (and I hesitate to use the word "positive" because the situation is so complex, tragic and people lost their lives so positive isn't the word) is how the community rallied together to begin healing. What Dolly Parton has done is nothing short of amazing. Shows that in great tragedy people can still do some wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment