Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Womens soccer team

Okay, I know I said it a few months ago, but I'm going to be blunt again. Very, very few people actually care about the US female soccer team, and they don't make a lot of money. That's why they aren't paid as much as the mens team. No, it's not anti woman to say that. No, it doesn't mean that I'm against women playing sports. It also doesn't mean that I think they aren't amazing athletes, capable of great skill. It simply means that since they don't generate the same revenue as the mens team, they aren't paid the same way. 

In a free market, you generally get paid what you are worth. Just because you think you are worth millions doesn't mean society will agree with you. When I mention "worth" I don't mean spiritual or moral worth. Yes, we all know that a bus driver is probably far more moral than a doctor sleeping with a nurse while married or a businesswoman embezzling funds to support a cocaine addiction. However the skills offered to the market that a bus driver possesses aren't worth as much as those held by a doctor or yes, a female soccer team. 

The brutal truth is that female sports don't appeal to as many people as mens sports do. No, that's not rude or nasty of me to say that. It's a truth. And oh yeah, I love womens volleyball and am a season ticket holder to the Gators team. So in my dream world, there would be equal pay. But government forcing equal pay is another horrible idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment