Thursday, August 29, 2019

Shriners hospital

Growing up Catholic the Shriners and Masons were always a no-go in discussions. No, this isn't to bash Catholics, it's just how it was growing up.Given that the Shriners/Masons are excommunicated from the Catholic church I understand why my Catholic school teachers 1) didn't know anything about them and 2) didn't like them much. I asked my 12th grade theology teacher why in the world the church would have anything against a group of harmless old man who do tremendous good in the world for children? She babbled about the Masons being "demonic" and how they were excommunicated, etc. I found it amusing and pitiful. (Not the catholic church, her response to my question)

I'm not a Shriner/Mason and I am no longer Catholic, but I have family that is involved in the Masons. They are dying off, like all fraternal orders. Is it sad? I guess so, but I don't care enough to get involved and I'm not the joining type, so I imagine that I'll never join any of those groups. I hope and pray that the hospitals don't close. For poor families suffering from burns and orthopedic injuries they are often times the last option available.

No comments:

Post a Comment