Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Self driving cars

I love to drive. It's a huge interest of mine. I've driven from Florida to New England well over 15 times. I've driven from New England to Missouri. New England to Ohio. New England to....you get the point. I've seen some weird things on the road. Like you, I've seen people texting and driving. I've seen people whom I think/know were driving drunk. I've personally driven when I probably shouldn't have due to exhaustion (never to drinking, thank you) and I've seen it happen to other drivers . While I love to drive I can't wait to see the future with self driving cars.

I live in the country and I love it. I doubt self driving cars will come here anytime in the next few years. I just bought at 2017 Jeep and it's loaded with features but alas, it's not self driving. When you think about self driving  vehicles it might be scary to some people, and I understand that but I strongly disagree. Think about planes. Pilot error is the number one source of crashes. Now, planes are so automated that they don't really make mistakes via computer/autopilot. Oh sure, it happens and it's deeply tragic but in reality, people are still the number one reason planes crash. 

A driverless car can't drive drunk. They can't drive exhausted. They can't text and drive. They can't flip you off while going 90 in a school zone because they are late to work. A self driving car will save thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands lives. We'll hear about the one or two deadly crashes and those are incredibly tragic. But, like plane crashes they are very rare. Self driving cars will happen in my lifetime and they will be a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment