Thursday, November 2, 2017

Safe spaces

Safe spaces are disturbing to me.  They seem harmless. After all, a "safe space" for you to really express yourself sounds wonderful. In reality, they are incredibly disturbing and a sign that you have somehow failed your as a parent. If your kid needs a safe space every time they hear something that upsets them, I don't blame them-you can't blame a dog for peeing on the carpet if they haven't learned any better-I blame the parents who raised kids to be so fragile and insecure.

In the real world, you will encounter many, many people and ideas that you disagree with. Some will upset you. Some will offend you. Some will actually challenge your beliefs. All of those options are good in the long run. It might upset you to hear that someone disagrees with your lifestyle. So what? You can't please everyone. You might be offended that someone dares to disagree with you on a political issue. Don't be so arrogant as to think everyone must agree with you on issues. Someone might challenge your beliefs and you know what-that's a good thing. When no one challenges you it means that you are no longer are thinking.

In my dream world, I'd demand that conservatives read Mother Jones and liberals read the National Review. No one-from right to left, young to old, would be allowed a safe space.

1 comment:

  1. I see "safe spaces" a little bit differently. When I hear the term "safe space", I think of "a place where I can express myself without fear of censure". Not necessarily "without disagreement". A counselor's office is an example of that for me; also, a support group.

    People who deal with PTSD also need "safe spaces" where they can deal with their condition.

    I think, though, that the "safe spaces" you're talking about aren't the ones I'm referring to. We need to do a better job learning to deal with disagreements AND a better job disagreeing with people.

    ReplyDelete