Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Cassette tapes

Apparently America is running out of cassette tape-the tape that was actually in the cassette you listened to in the 1980s and 1990s.

If cassette tapes are your thing, fine. Nothing wrong with that. In their quest to ruin everything hipsters are bringing back cassette tapes, like older hipsters did with vinyl in the early 2000s. Don't get me wrong, at the time I made more mix tapes than the Rob from High Fidelity. Whenever I see a reference to the immortal mix tape in pop culture I do smile a little a bit.

Looking back though, cassette tapes were awful.

You had horrible sound quality, you had to fast forward and rewind for five minutes in order to find your favorite song. If you had a poor quality cassette tape player then it would eat the tape, thus running the cassette. I remember this happening to me on cassette tapes I played multiple times. They also couldn't hold much data, so God forbid you buy a book on cassette-if you misplaced one cassette tape,it was over. 

Oh nostalgia. That emotion/feeling that I hate so much. Once again something that sucked in the first place is remembered as something wonderful. 

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever have a cassette player that had a counter on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I vaguely remember such a device, lol. But yeah, cassette tapes have to the worst form of media in existence. I understand the vinyl revival, but cassette tapes need to die.

      Delete