Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Bill Cosby

Wow.

First off, Bill Cosby is innocent till proven guilty. Like I've mentored in other blog posts, even scumbags have rights. 

I've never seen a fall from grace like this. Depending on your age, Bill Cosby really was "The Dad of America." I'm at the very end of Generation X. Bill Cosby was the first African American I remember seeing. No, that doesn't make me a racist. Growing up in rural New Hampshire in the 80s, there just weren't many African Americans in the population. He was a great role model to all of us, no matter what color your skin is. 

He's also genuinely funny. His early comedy is clean, insightful, and most importantly-funny. A life truth that people need to remember is that you can't let personal behavior-no matter how repulsive-cloud your opinion on talent. Pete Rose is a great baseball player but a nasty person. Punk and metal have their share of people you wouldn't want to date your sister but are incredibly gifted musicians. 

My personal take? Bill Cosby is a rapist. Granted, he comes from a different generation. It's the generation that thinks "as long as she doesn't say no, it's ok." Let me be very, very clear-I am NOT saying that's okay. I just said I think he is a rapist. So no, I'm not condoning his nasty behavior. We clear? Good.  I'm sure I'd be attacked just for explaining that. One more time-Bill Cosby is a rapist and silence is not consent. I don't know how I can be more clear on that. I only repeat myself because I do not want to be misunderstood on that. I have no sympathy whatsoever for rapists. Just as bad as rapists are those who make false claims, but that's another blog post altogether. 

No comments:

Post a Comment