Monday, February 15, 2016

A few of my favorite video games

I am a proud gamer. On my upper right shoulder I have that Atari logo tattooed in black. I'm also getting the Fallout Guy tattooed on my right thigh soon. So yeah, I'm hardcore. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Billy Mitchell (the man who set the record on Pac-Man) once. Super nice guy, by the way. Yes, it was only five minutes and it was about twenty years ago-but it's still a cool story. For no reason at all, here is a list of my favorite video games. 

1. River Raid, Atari 2600. The Atari 2600 is rightly remembered as one of the greatest gaming consoles in history. While it contributed to the crash of the early 80's, it also started home consoling. So many landmark games were on this system, from Pole Position (Arguably the first good racing game) and Pitfall (the original platform game) to Ice Hockey (Still LOVE that game) and Frostbite-a night spent with the Atari is guaranteed fun. River Raid though, is my personal favorite. Like all video games, it's easy to learn, difficult to master, and as fun to play on the first time as it is the 3,000 time. 

2. Super Mario Brothers. If this surprises you, then you shouldn't read this post any further. Video games crashed in the 80's. Lost of reasons for this, but gaming was basically on it's last legs till this one came out. Everyone knows this game. Even those who hate gaming have probably played before. Pac Man was more popular in the arcades. The home versions were not good in the 80s. Super Mario Brothers-with it's control, story and gameplay took the ball and ran with it from Pac Man. Simply put, this is the greatest video game ever created. It's still enjoyable today, very much so really. My dirty little secret? I can't beat this game. Even after 30 years, I still can't beat it. But when I hear the theme song, I want to stand and salute. 

3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Yes, this list is Nintendo heavy. That shows two things. One-I'm a Nintendo fanboy and two-they have great games). Anyone who thinks Nintendo games are "light" or "too colorful" should play this game. And it's outstanding spiritual sequel, Majora's Mask. Ocarina of time took everything Nintendo is known for-cartoons, simple but challenging gameplay, and shattered it to pieces. In doing so, they created inarguably one of the greatest games ever created for a console. An in depth storyline is just part of the fun. Challenging puzzles, addicting gameplay and characters you will truly never forget-this game should be played by anyone who likes video games. 

4. Final Fantasy 7-The first video game where I bawled during the death of a character. I'm going to be blunt-I'm still a bit confused over the storyline. My own confusion aside, this is "the game" that defined my college life. I'd go home from class-and play. I'd ignore dates-and play. I'd engage in illegal, non mormon substances-and play. Saying it's a "role playing game" doesn't do it justice. I adore RPGs (tactical turn based, sports and RPG's are my favorites) but even people who don't like RPG's like this one. I've struck up conversations about Ruby weapon and chocobos with total strangers. 

5. Fallout 3-Not so much a game but a life simulator. The amount of stuff you can do in this game is so in depth, that after 400 hours of gameplay (yes, I'm pumped in that much time. I know, it's sad) I still haven't explored the entire wasteland. Three Dog might be my favorite NPC in the history of video games. I make sure I finish the quest to install the satellite on the Washington Monument first, just so I can hear his comments as I explore. Is Fallout 3 the best game of all time? It's up there. For me it reminds me why I like video games. An in-depth, all consuming experience that brings you great joy for being involved in it. It's like reading the Book of Mormon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment