Tuesday, February 23, 2016

More thoughts on anti-Mormonism

We know that protestants-in particular evangelicals-don't like us much. Which is sad. One of my personal heroes is Billy Graham, who is associated with the evangelical movement. I will always admire Reverend Graham. In my view only, almost no American has brought more souls to Christ than him. 

Evangelicals (and some Catholics) insist that you must believe in a Trinitarian God in order to be Christian. While they have every right to think that way, a Christian is just a believer in Jesus Christ. Evangelicals proved they need lots of work on this prejudice thing by overwhelmingly rejecting Mitt Romney (who socially agrees with them on virtually everything) in favor of the thrice married Newt Gingrich in the 2012 GOP primary. 

What bothers me more about evangelicals is that they think they know more about our religion than we do.  Like I say to people who think Kiss means "knights in satan's service", do not claim to know more about Kiss than a thirty year fan-and no, you don't now more about Mormonism than lifelong members. I am not a lifelong member, but my point still stands. 

Catholics have also experienced prejudice in this world (being in the minority, it's almost automatic that you will) so generally they are less likely to be prejudiced against Mormonism. Just to be clear-I'm speaking in generalities, yes. There are great Evangelicals, stupid Mormons, and wonderful Catholics. 

Stupid Mormons bother me more than anyone else. I've had Mormons whom I know and respect that buy into anti-Catholic stereotypes. No, Catholics don't worship Mary and no, they don't practice cannibalism either. 

A Mormon who perpetuates anti Catholic (or anti any religion, really) lies has no right whatsoever to complain about people who spread anti-Mormon lies. Period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment