Saturday, February 6, 2016

George Albert Smith and depression

George Albert Smith was a prophet of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Like many prophets from last century, not a lot is known about him in the outside world, and in the church world. We can learn a great deal from the former presidents and prophets. I wish we'd take them more seriously. 

George Albert was a relative of the founder, Joseph Smith. Joseph also suffered from depression, though the church seems reluctant to talk about. This is changing. Jeffery Holland recently gave a speech on depression at a general conference. "Like a Broken Vessel" is outstanding and should be heard by everyone-LDS or not-that deals with mental illness. Like Holland said, there is nothing shameful about it. It's like dealing with high blood pressure. 

It's odd to me to think of the prophets as human. Sure, logically I know they are. I'm a realist and I accept that they have frailties and weaknesses-but emotionally I tend to think of them as super heroes and men that aren't tempted like I am. It's comforting and strange to me to think that God doesn't protect them from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment