Thursday, February 25, 2016

Mormon Fundamentalism

I'm going to shock the world (yes, my ego is big, but not so big to think the world is watching): 

Mormon fundamentalism, like the kind shown in Big Love, has much more in common with the LDS church than you think.   

First off, anyone who marries a minor is a disgusting pervert who should be thrown away in jail for life. In my view, the death penalty is more than appropriate. I have zero tolerance for child abuse, and forced marriage of a minor is certainly, without question, one hundred percent wrong and flat out disgusting. 

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints accepts Thomas Monson as the prophet and leader. Obviously I accept and believe that he is one too. This shouldn't be shocking. However, I also accept that the priesthood shown in most fundamentalist sects is legit. That doesn't mean a convert from the fundamentalist sect shouldn't have to be re-bapitzed by the LDS church. If you want to join the LDS church, you play by their rules. 

Mormon fundamentalists also correctly view the Book of Mormon as not just "inspired scripture" but actual history. On this issue, I fall on the conservative side of LDS scholarship (though I do not claim to be a scholar of any type) and agree. I as well think that the events in the Book of Mormon took place in actual history. However I don't think it's dogma-you can be a good and faithful LDS member and not believe in inerrancy. You can also believe that the Book of Mormon is largely allegorical. That's fine-most people believe that the Bible has many allegorical parts too. 

I'm fine with the government cracking down on fundamentalist sects-if there is child abuse (and again, child marriage is child abuse) or any other illegal activity going on. If adult women are forced into marriages they don't want to be in-that's gravely immoral as well. If people just choose to live in that lifestyle by their own free will though-then they really should be left alone to do as they wish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment