Saturday, November 28, 2015

Your first tattoo

Congratulations and welcome to the tattoo world. You are no longer a tattoo virgin. 

The big thing to think of is the classic, "You get what you pay for". If you shell out 50 bucks for a tattoo that your buddy did in their van, you have no right to complain about how bad it is. It's going to be bad, and it's going to be permanent. You can divorce your spouse, but you'll never be able to divorce your tattoo. 

Do you really want this, or will you regret it at 50? I have seven tattoos, and they are mostly in the flash/Amtrad style.(later edit-I now have nine tattoos. At the time this was written, only seven) Not only do I love the artwork of it (just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy, to quote Oliver Peck. One of the greatest Amtrad artists in history. Yes, I heard about him before Ink Master) but it'll look good on my body when I get older. Amtrad also isn't trendy. You can get a gorgeous tribal tattoo, but you will always look like a 90's boy band member. I love the trash polka style, but I wouldn't get one. In ten years, the style won't be as trendy as it is now. 

What will your family say? I'm very proud of all my tattoos, but other people do look at you differently. Yes, it's changing (thank God) but there is still prejudice against tattooed people. You can't change being Asian/African American/White but you can choose not to get tattoos. Are you ready for that? Yes, you can complain that prejudice against tattooed people isn't fair (and it isn't) but we choose this and have no right to complain. If you get a tattoo on your face, you will regret it, and you have no right to complain about being treated differently.  

Your first tattoo should be in a place where you can easily hide it. You aren't ready to have one in the open. 

They hurt too. A lot.

Finally, you reading this are probably LDS. If you aren't, great. First off, thank you for reading, it means the world to me. I say that in all humility and seriousness. If you are LDS and want a tattoo, you are in a totally different world. It is not inherently sinful to get tattoos, but the church does frown on it. You will assuredly disappoint your family, and you should listen to them before me. 

Obviously I love tattoos, but my love for them doesn't cloud my judgement or warp my view of reality. Go out and get some, but be prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment