Monday, July 11, 2016

Temples and St. Peters Basilica

I've mentioned before that I don't like going to temples-and I still don't. I've mentioned the reasons before and those haven't changed. Going more just reminds me why I don't like it. I haven't been in awhile and I don't see a trip coming up in the future. My life partner/significant other/domestic companion does like going to the temple so people say "How come you don't go for her!? You are horrible!" It's very simple. 1) I don't bar her from going and 2) I like things that she isn't interested in going to either. The key to a good relationship is independence, actually. Value your partner as an individual first and foremost over everything.

Anyway, LDS get the question "Your temples are so elegant and expensive! Shouldn't the money be better spent on the poor?" This isn't just an LDS question. The Catholics also get "St. Peter's Basilica  is gorgeous! Sell it an all the artwork and give it to the poor!"  First off, the artwork in St. Peter's Basilica belongs to humanity and is priceless. It's been there for centuries and is considered among the greatest artwork in the world. You can't really "sell it".

Second, both the LDS and Catholic churches do a huge, huge amount for the poor. Educating, feeding, clothing providing shelter. Much, much more than atheist charities do. It's not just LDS and Catholics, it's mainly Christian ones. That entire "love your neighbor" thing, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment