Sunday, July 31, 2016

Scripture Sunday Helaman 14: 31

If there is evil in the world, how can there be a God? This is the one question that believers get the most and in my view, it's the best case for atheism. No, I'm not saying that atheism is what I believe (it's Mormon Punk, not Atheist Punk) after all but I do admit that the problem of evil is certainly the most valid objection to God's existence.

This passage I believe tries to answer it. Believers in God (not just LDS, virtually all theists feel this way)believe that He "hath given unto you that ye might know good and evil". The problem of evil might prove that God exists-that there is an objective right and wrong and we just" a priori" know (starry heavens above, moral law within) which is which.

In the end, it's up to us. We can choose evil, or we can choose good. I really like this passage because it puts the accountability on us. The devil will never make us do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment