Friday, July 22, 2016

Album of the weekend

Lita Ford-Lita

This was the first album I ever bought that was from a female artist. No, that doesn't make me a sexist, it makes me someone who grew up in a small town and only got his music from MTV in the early years. We had no rock station where I lived. It sucked, believe me. It wasn't until high school when the internet greatly enhanced my musical tastes. I will forever be grateful to it for that-it's another reason I love living in the times we do.

This album contains the one song everyone knows Lita Ford for, "Kiss Me Deadly". A sexy and powerful song that makes Lita Ford both enticing and dangerous. Anyone who thinks that women can't be great rock stars-in this style of music-is wrong (and yes, thinking that way IS sexist) and ridiculous. It's not just that song that's great-"Can't Catch Me" (co-written by Lemmy) and "Under the Gun" are as well. Her duet with Ozzy "Close my Eyes Forever" ends the album that rightfully put Lita on the map as one of the leaders and founders of female based arena rock. 

I'm not sure that in 2016, people base their music tastes on gender. If you do, shame on you. If you don't, then go download this.

No comments:

Post a Comment