Thursday, July 28, 2016

Hillary being nominated and feminism

Voting for someone just based on body parts/sexual preference is among the most shallow things that you can do. It's like telling the world that the issues are too complex for you and you've given up.

The question you might be asking is "But Punk, would you feel this way if your party nominated a woman?" Honestly, yes. I'd be voting for her based on issues, not chromosomes. If you agree with Hillary on the issues, then by all means vote for her. If you are going to vote for her simply because she's a woman-then yes, that's pretty shallow.

One of my political heroes is Margaret Thatcher. I agree with her on most issues and I deeply admire who she was. She was asked how much she owed the Women's Liberation movement. She said "Nothing." I believe it's because she always viewed herself as an individual first and a woman second. I don't agree with her on this-I think she did owe feminism. Feminism in the beginning was a deeply noble cause that fought for equality. Without it, women wouldn't have the rights they do today. Do I think women are truly equal? No, I think there is more work that needs to be done. Do I think government is the solution? No, I don't.

But my appreciation of feminism (and I do appreciate it) doesn't cloud my judgement of the 2016 race, that's for damn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment