Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Protesting and prosecutors

You have every right to protest and express your discontent with "the man" or "the system" or "society in general". What you don't have a right to do is protest without worrying about the consequences. We are all connected in some way-if you and your buddies protest and shut down a highway and thereby block an ambulance carrying a man with a heart attack to the hospital and he dies because of it-yes, you should be charged with manslaughter.

I'm not naive though. The legal system isn't perfect-and it's politically correct. Do I think a prosecutor has the integrity and backbone to punish protestors who do that? Of course not. I also don't think a prosecutor would decline to prosecute someone they knew/suspected was innocent. Growing up I was expected to view prosecutors as the good guys-always seeking virtue, truth, justice and the American way. That's rubbish of course. Like protestors all they care about is their own self interest.

No accountability will be leveled against protestors who stop us from going against our daily lives. If you are late to a job and get fired because of protestors blocking the highway-well, tough. Nothing you can do about it. The woman who was in labor and had to deliver her baby in the back seat of a car? Nothing you can do about that either.

I'm generally a skeptic but I try to force myself to be an optimistic person-lately it's been tough and I think it's been tough on all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment