Friday, September 28, 2018

Album of the weekend

Anvil-Metal on Metal

I'm stunned that I haven't done this one yet, but after looking through the years of my Albums of the weekend, it looks like I haven't discussed this. My apologies if it's a duplicate-I still can't find it.

What do you say about one of your favorite albums of all time? I don't buy into the bull that you "never forget your first love"-but I'll never forget the first time I heard the song "Metal on Metal." I felt like I forgot everything I was doing and Anvil was playing for an audience of one person. It's not even the best song on the album. The best song is "Mothra", a classic monster metal song about the Godzilla based character. I don't think I ever knew what "Mothra" was until I heard this song. Like all good songs, it tells a story, and does so brilliantly. That's not it though. "March of the Crabs" is the best heavy metal instrumental out there. They've never done anything like it, and neither has any other band.

Anvil never gets the credit they deserve, and I understand why. They can be a hard band to take seriously, but this album deserves that. One of the best heavy metal albums of all time, bar none. 

No comments:

Post a Comment