Saturday, June 2, 2018

Political endorsements

Trump recently endorsed one of the GOP candidates in the California gubernatorial race. This isn't about Trump or the GOP candidate, it's about endorsements. Most of the time they are incredibly overrated and usually hurt the candidate. At their best, they can only do damage. While it seems like they would help a candidate, they don't. In reality those who are going to vote for the candidate would do so even without the endorsement and those who are going to vote against them would do so anyway.

What endorsements do is energize the opposite side. They do very little to the side that already supported the candidate. When a Hollywood actor endorses a certain candidate, I can't imagine someone saying "Well, I was in the middle but George Clooney supports her, so she's got my vote." What I see happening is, "I don't want some Hollywood big shot telling me what to do, so I no longer support her." It also happens in the opposite way too. "What? That scumbag Nazi Trump supports this guy? I was looking into voting for him, but not now."

In California, there just aren't enough conservative republicans/Trump supporters to carry a guy to victory. If Trump really wanted to help him, he should have endorsed the democrat.

No comments:

Post a Comment