Friday, June 29, 2018

Album of the Weekend

Anvil-Plenty of Power

With Anvil, the problem has always been with the writing. Simply put, the guys from Anvil are not as good writing lyrics as the guys from other more popular bands. That's not to say they don't have well written songs, they do. In fact, unlike many other bands they have well written songs not just on their first few albums but on many of their albums throughout their discography. Plenty of Power, however, sounds great but does not have many well written songs on it. If every song was strictly an instrumental this album would have been a lot better.

"Pro Wrestling" is the classic example of this. I find myself liking the sound, but not the lyrics. I used to be a big pro wrestling fan but I'm not sure I would have liked the song even back then. "The Creep" is another song where musically it sounds great but I don't even remember the lyrics. That's not a good sign.

This album is hard to review. From a musical standpoint, it's quite good. Great headbanging stuff. Just don't pay attention to the lyrics. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment