Monday, June 4, 2018

Being known by your religion

I don't like being known as an LDS. I never have, I never will.

First off, the obvious reasons. Unlike some other LDS I don't like sharing my religion with other people. I assume that if you want to change religions in 2018 you can contact us, not the other way around. While I think missionaries are among the biggest blessings to the church, I'm not sure that they are that successful when it comes to conversions. One look at our conversion rate will show you that we're spinning our wheels when it comes to growing the church like that. My non member friends are usually surprised that I don't try to convert others.

The other reason I don't like being known by my religion is that I'm afraid people will look down on all LDS because of my own sins and weaknesses. Yes, I do many things that a regular LDS wouldn't partake in (coffee, drinking, the occasional cigar) and if I make any moral claim about Mormonism or Christianity -people will assuredly say "How can you make any moral claim hypocrite? You drink wine?" A Christian/Mormon apparently has to be perfect or their words hold no value. Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment