Wednesday, June 29, 2016

This "no Wi-fi" sign.


This sign right here is a fraud. It went "viral" several years ago. I want you to think about that. It went "viral". A sign complaining about how bad wi-fi is went viral.

Going back to 1995 would suck for many reasons, not the least of which is the lack of technology. If you've been a regular reader to my blog (and I thank you so, so much for it!)  you'll know that I think nostalgia is totally overrated. We over romanticize the past while ignoring everything that made it bad. This sign does that.

In 1995 we were stuck in our little worlds. If you didn't make friends in your small town, often times there really wasn't many more options. You were stuck with either loneliness or trying to form false friendships. I know, I had both happen to me. As I tried to fit in I found myself sacrificing my own interests and personality to my own serious detriment. Thank God for college, which opened up experiences of a bigger world for many of us.

But not all people can go to college. Even if they move, some people are still dealing with feeling alone. The internet is many things, but at it's core it's a way to connect with other people. No matter what your interest is, there is a page/forum/something for you to at least try and reach out with others who share your values or interests. You can have good conversations over wi-fi, you can have them face to face too. 

So if you want to live in 1995, go for it. Turn off the internet (but read my blog!). I do too sometimes. Usually when I go to the beach,  on road trips,  to Disney etc. 

Just don't look down your nose on the people on use wi-fi, like this arrogant little sign is trying to do. In my view it's because the restaurant is too cheap to pay for wi-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment