Friday, June 24, 2016

Album of the weekend

Alanis Morissette-Jagged Little Pill

Sometimes success can be a double edged sword. While Jagged Little Pill was not the first album Alanis Morissette released, it is by far her most well known. It's an outstanding album for sure, even though it's never been my personal favorite. I owned it of course-you can't be Generation X and not own it or know someone who did. it broke though barriers and genres as well. Everyone who liked music even if it was country or pop or rock or alternative had this album. Things would never be the same for Morrissette and that is both good and bad. Virtually no one could ever recreate the sales or critical acclaim she had with this album and expect the next one to do the same. 

Is this album good? Yes, very much so. Musically it's a diverse march through post grunge alt-rock combined with truly original sounding songs like "Ironic" and "All I Really Want". The most well known song is, of course "You Oughta Know" which celebrates how every girl must have felt in her life towards her ex at least for a moment. I had that song dedicated to me once at a school dance. Morrisette brought angst ridden riot grrrl rock to the mainstream. 

But here is a dirty little secret that I am going to reveal for the first time: I owned it because everyone else did, but it was never one of my favorites. I'm a huge fan of the original bands associated with the riot grrrl movement. Bikini Kill and L7 in particular. I always thought Morrisette wasn't edgy enough and even though I think her sound (with this album in particular) is innovative and unique it has never been a personal favorite. That doesn't mean it isn't good, it means it's just not my thing. This album is rightfully considered a landmark album and I share that view. It's just not my taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment