Saturday, June 18, 2016

Overrated bands II

Journey-You know those people on Facebook who post about how much they love their boyfriend/girlfriend and this time, he/she is "the one"...even though they've known each other for a grand total of two weeks? Journey is their band. I have a sentimental side and goodness knows I like things than can be over the top-Kiss being one of them. While everyone seems to know that Kiss can be cheesy at times, and no one claims that Kiss is highly artistic-Steve Perry (the lead singer of some of their wretchedly bad bigger hits) strikes me as the kind of guy who would throw a diva like fit if someone didn't call him an "artist". Journey is a cutout bin band who think of themselves as the Jesus and Mary Chain or The Smiths.

Aerosmith-As everyone knows, I'm from New England. And all of the New England states have a law that states, "If you live here, Aerosmith will be your favorite rock band." The penalty for violating this law is five years in jail and an immediate loss of the right to call yourself a "New Englander". Well I am screwed, because I never liked Aerosmith. While I admit they have had a long career with the exception of one song (Dream On) their music just never spoke to me. Their music sounds oddly dated. Even their recent stuff sounds like it belongs in a different era. While it's true, good music is good music and transcends time, I don't think that applies to Aerosmith.

Bon Jovi-Don't punch me please. I've seen fans like their favorite band before, but I have never ever seen fans defend a band more than I see with Bon Jovi. I think it's the New Jersey thing. Things from the East Coast tend to get overrated Now before you hit the roof and start screaming that I "know nothing about music" just for expressing my opinion I want you to name one song by Bon Jovi that is great that isn't "Living on a Prayer." I admit it-"Living on a Prayer" is a great song even though I don't personally like it. Having just one great song makes you a one hit wonder. Bon Jovi is a one hit wonder that got very lucky. Flame on.

U2-Bono was stopped a concert and started clapping slowly. He said "Every time I clap my hands, a child dies in Africa." In a wonderful bit of English humor, a woman in front row yelled "Then stop bloody clapping!" U2 might be a decent band, but they've always suffered from "Bruce Springsteen disease." I can't take you seriously when you lecture me about poverty when you sit in first class sipping Veuve Clicquot Yellowboam Ostrich Limited Champagne ($975.00 a bottle). Maybe my dislike of their ideas taints my dislike of their music, I admit that. Then again, in 2016 you don't hear many people talking about them when it comes to "classic rock". I get the feeling U2 is one of the bands people only admit to liking around friends but don't have any of their albums (or can't even name another one) aside from "The Joshua Tree"

No comments:

Post a Comment