Thursday, June 16, 2016

Political differences in families

First off, it should come as no surprise that I'm not a liberal. I'm not conservative either even though I sound like it just because I'm not a liberal. That shows a lot on liberalism-usually conservatives tolerate dissent better. If you don't agree with liberals on almost all issues you are viewed as deficient in some way. Joe Lieberman, the former Connecticut senator comes to mind. He was a liberal on everything but foreign policy and the left hated him. When republicans stray form orthodox conservatism the right generally tolerates it better. 

So I'm the only non-liberal in my family. It's come up on my Facebook. They've said my views are "shameful" and blocked me-which is odd, given how tolerant they claim to be. A few won't shake my hand or greet me at events, and that's okay as well. My biological grandparents (whom I've met twice) have made snide comments here and there, and that's obnoxious. Then they wonder why I'm not terribly close to them. 

Luckily I am very, very close to a few members of my family regardless of political issues and differences. We either don't talk about it or we actually find common ground after discussion.

I would try to avoid talking about religion and politics with family, even though I discuss both in great detail with my friends, even those who I disagree with. It is of great interest to me that my friends whom I disagree with are more tolerant and accepting than some members of my family. That's another reason why I think friendship is just as important as family because it involves choice. 

Don't feel guilty about not being close to your family. I've noticed that many people (in particular LDS, for sure) feel guilt if they aren't best buds with their cousins, sisters, brothers, etc. Of course it's true that you shouldn't go out of your way to create strife and anger with them-but you shouldn't beat yourself up either if you don't swap recipes and talk every day either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment