Thursday, December 22, 2016

NES Classic

Even though I have most of the games included on the NES classic on other systems, I'm so happy to see classic games get more mainstream attention. While I don't want to say that the historical games are better than the ones today-I don't think you can compare them-they are without question still enjoyable to play today and shouldn't be just dismissed as "childhood toys."

First off, I don't expect my future children or young people today to be entertained by games from 1985. It would be as bizarre as someone from Generation X being entertained by Captain Kangaroo shows from the 1950 in their childhood. Just to be clear in case there are some snowflakes hanging around-that's not an insult to Captain Kangaroo. What it is is a correct assumption that most Generation Xers won't get the appeal of a show that entertained their parents in the 1950s. And just because you know a Gen Xer who likes 50's TV shows doesn't mean my general point is invalid. Yes, I think good music is timeless and intergenerational and the same probably goes for TV shows-but not everyone agrees with me. Same with video games. Some kids today might like NES Classic games but the majority will almost certainly not. Hell, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love for kids today to start going old school with classic Atari and NES games.

It wasn't the first home console (Magnavox Odyssey is widely thought of to be first) and it wasn't the first to take off (Atari 2600 in my view was the first console to get insanely popular) but it's among the most influential home consoles in history. After the video game crash of the early 80's retailers would not touch video games then the NES literally saved the industry with Super Mario Brothers. Super Mario Brothers is unquestionably the greatest game of all time. It's better than Pac-Man, better than Zelda Ocarina of Time, better than Tetris, better than Grand Theft Auto. You get my drift. Ironically even though I obviously love the game, I can't beat it. Still to this day. I can beat Mario 2, Mario 3, Super Mario Land, Mario 64--but not the original.

Will I get the NES classic? For sure. It'll be fun to have all the games on one console that works with modern tvs.

Play on.

No comments:

Post a Comment