Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Glenn Beck and changning opinions

Glenn Beck has recently said in an article for The New Yorker (which I do subscribe to, much to their dismay I'm sure)  that Barack Obama has "made him a better man." And also expressed his support for Black Lives Matter. Both of those are fine things to support, and of course it's rare for someone to never change their opinions in life. God knows I have on many issues.

But I do wonder what would happen if a prominent leftist had a moment of self critique and examination and suddenly became oh, I don't know-pro-life instead of pro-choice. Or came out against gay marriage after being for it. Or maybe against gun control instead of being for it. Would they be interviewed in The New Yorker? Would they be lauded over by the upper crust media establishment? We both know the answer, I think. 

Many years ago the journalist David Brock wrote a book called "Blinded by the Right". In it, he talked about how he was a conservative hit man for the American Spectator and how wrong he was. He basically begs forgiveness from the left and swears he'll never do it again. He talks about his own hit piece on Anita Hill, the woman who accused Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment. He talks about how Hillary was persecuted by a right wing conspiracy and he seems to think he started it/added to it. If I'm wrong about anything give me a break-I haven't read the book in years in am going from memory. Regardless of how you feel politically about the book, if you think it's an interesting perspective about self discovery and self critique-or as Christopher Hitchens said, "someone taken in by money and fame and would say anything if the price was right"-the same might apply to Glenn Beck. 

Even when I agree with Beck on this or that issue I think the guy does not have both oars in the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment