Monday, December 19, 2016

Consumerism over the holidays

Are you fed up with the consumerism that invades Christmas? Are you aggravated about how commercial Christmas has become? I know someone who bitched nonstop from Thanksgiving to Christmas about she hated both the commercialization of Christmas and how everyone focused more on receiving gifts rather than giving them. She was first in line to sanctimoniously preach to us about how she didn't want anything. So we took her at her word and bought her nothing. To the surprise of no one she of course complained about it. All goddamn day.

We all like giving and we all like receiving. I think we should admit that upfront. No matter what your age is, it's nice to get a well thought out gift on Christmas. Notice I said "well thought out" not expensive. Sure it's nice to be able to provide expensive things to your family but like most people-I think the best things in life are sometimes (sometimes, I like my nice dinners out) free.

I don't complain about Christmas being commercial. I like it being commercial. It's all about giving and receiving and it's an overall spirit of goodwill. Of course like I've mentioned before you shouldn't over extend credit and go into financial distress to provide gifts to your family-but you should be able to save a little bit from January to December so that you can buy some basic gifts for your loved ones.

I've also mentioned that Christmas was not always easy for me. It was a stressful time growing up and I never got into the season until well into my thirties. I never ruined it for everyone else though, I kept it bottled up that I was miserable. If you want to spoil it for everyone with non stop lectures and preaching, fine. It's your life after all. But I think it's the wrong thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment