Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Jack Mormonism


Jack Mormonism

I’m a Jack Mormon in some ways. I have no problem with gay marriage, transgender people, and I have a very sarcastic and dry sense of humor that puts me out of place with everyone, in particular some religious types.  I also think women should be priesthood holders.

The term “Jack Mormon” is like the term “Cafeteria Catholic”. I get why more orthodox Mormons/Catholics are offended by the term, and while I don’t apologize for being myself, I sympathize with them and totally understand where they are coming from. 

I’m also a card carrying member of the ACLU. There is a joke that the LDS church is the “republican party at prayer” and while it may not be a side splitter, there is still a slight touch of truth in it. Before getting baptized one the questions they ask is ”Are you a member of any group that is against church teachings?” I told the Stake President about my membership in the ACLU. I was worried he’d throw me out. He said, “Relax, this isn’t about politics. You are fine.”

I only share this because many times I’ve heard people wrongly assume that you have to be a conservative republican to be an active LDS. You don’t. I believe the book of Mormon is authentic history and “true” as we say, and I also have a scattershot of views that a mainstream LDS person might not agree with.

One of the key differences though is I don’t expect the church to accept my views as their orthodoxy. I accept church teachings even if they are different than my own personal views. They’ve been here longer than I am and I don’t want them or myself to change. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you say here.
    I'm enjoying your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete