Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Hypocrisy


One of the biggest slams on Christians is our “hypocrisy.” People say “How can you go to church if you are _______ (insert generic sin).”

Bluntly put, only idiots use this argument.

To some degree, we are all hypocrites; even the most rabid atheist does things against their moral code.

However, like mentioned in before in other posts (is it possible to plagiarize myself?)  it is much better to set high standards and have a hard time living up to them than to bathe in filth and do whatever you want regardless of the consequences.

The brilliant writer Evelyn Waugh was once caught in some act of selfishness and debauchery. Someone asked, “How can you call yourself a Christian?” His incredible response, “I know. Think how bad I’d be if I wasn’t a Christian.”

He wrote my favorite fiction book of all time, Brideshead Revisited.  Few people read him anymore and that’s sad. Decline and Fall by him is also fantastic.

I’m with him. As a Jack Mormon with many bad habits, one thing I love about Mormonism is its forgiveness and high standards. Even someone like me as their limits, but without Mormonism I’d probably be an even bigger egomaniac and hedonist than I already am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment