Friday, June 26, 2015

Album of the weekend


Judas Priest. Redeemer of Souls.

Most reunions and comebacks don’t go very well. Ask yourself: If I hooked up with my ex after three years how would it go? You’d like to say “Great!” but in reality, it would usually be a disaster. We tend to think we can recreate feelings that have long been forgotten, but no way. We romanticize the past and downplay the bad feelings we had while overblowing the good ones.  Think St. Anger by Metallica. Yes, it’s over bashed but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s not a very good album.

What does all my pointless rambling have to do with the album of the weekend?

I was not looking forward to the Judas Priest album, “Redeemer of Souls.” Their last album, Nostradamus, sounded much too “nu-metal” of the early 2000’s for me. I like their old school, British power metal feeling.

So it was reluctantly that I bought their latest album.

In the immortal words of (paraphrasing) of Comic Book Guy, “Best. Comeback Album. Ever.”

Incredible album. The guitar solos are energetic and fresh while the lyrics are over the top but not too cheesy. Think British Steel 2.0. Is it as good as Steel? No, of course not.  But it’s good. Real good. It’s like opening up a present of Christmas and getting a Rolex when you were expecting a Timex.

Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment