Friday, June 5, 2015

Album of the weekend...


Reel Big Fish-Turn the Radio Off!-You will have to forgive me, I grew up in the north east and ska was strong source of regional pride in the late 90s. Mighty Mighty Boss Tones, Letters to Cleo, Bim Skala Bim, the old school Dropkick Murphys-and the California based “Reel Big Fish”.

Turn the Radio Off may not be church based-in fact it has several “not suitable for church” songs.  Those are also my favorite. “She Has a Girlfriend Now” is one of the funniest songs in ska, in particular towards the end. “Trendy” has some of the best lyrics, and is a surprisingly deep song “It’s not so bad being trendy everyone who looks like me is my friend.” Could easily be read as a subtle dig towards the Goth, hipster “In order to express myself I have to look like everyone else” scene. Punk does the same thing, sadly. Few punks actually look or act like authentic punks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment