Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Trying to debunk everything you see on the internet

Let's be honest-there is a lot of garbage out there on the internet. From misleading click bait to politically tainted "news" to outright conspiracy theories and bullshit-it takes a healthy dose of skepticism to survive out there. It's a dangerous world. My Pepere (French Canadian term for grandfather) used to say "Believe 25% of what you read and 10% of what you hear." Wise words.

Part of the reason people post and believe things is because they want to believe. This accusation of believing what you want to believe is usually a charge that atheists throw at believers-even though everyone is at least partially guilty of this. The radical organic no-GMO people want to feel superior to others who :: gasp :: feed their kid regular food instead of the expensive GMO/Organic stuff. So they'll believe every pro-organic study they see and fall for every hip food trend in order to feel better about themselves. Everyone is at least partially guilty of this too-most christians aren't going to believe things that puts their faith in a negative light.

Trying to debunk everything you see is a fools game. One-it's Sisyphean and never ending. Two, it's done so you too can feel smarter/wiser than those idiots who believe everything. Speaking of everyone being guilty of things, I am dead on guilty of this. Someone recent posted that "All honeybees are dying" (they aren't, the story is far more complex than we realize) and I tried showing him some links that showed otherwise. He didn't believe them of course. I'm comforted that I was right, but it's still frustrating that he didn't believe them. I'd like to say I'm so tough that it doesn't bother me and I just move on-but of course like everyone else it does bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment