Monday, September 30, 2019

Just trying to make a joke!

So, in case you haven't figured it out I like to make jokes about polygamy.   When I was Catholic I'd make jokes about Catholic schooling, being an altar boy, etc. I'm also able to make fun of my political views. 

You shouldn't take anything too seriously. Even though everyone has that one issue they can't joke about. It might be suicide, eating disorders, autism-they are almost certain to remind you that you have offended them in some way. 

Comedians have a tough job in 2016. Growing up, the people who usually were offended by everything were religious types. I'm religious as well (surprise!) but I'm not one of those types that wants everything I disagree with banned. Now, it's gotten to the point where it's the social justice warriors that are offended by everything. Even people who are leftists themselves (Tina Fey, Louis CK, Amy Schumer) have gotten into the crosshairs if they say something that doesn't fit in with the politically correct line. 

It's scary. Free speech doesn't care about your fragile feelings, and it shouldn't. There are things you shouldn't joke around about unless you really know someone-just because you you are being unpc you shouldn't be a jerk-but if someone makes a joke you find offensive the best thing to do is really ignore it, not get offended. 

Gordon Hinckley again said it best. "Happy is the man who can brush off offending remarks and go the other way". 

No comments:

Post a Comment