Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Those damn kids

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."-Socrates, (496-399 BC) 

I love that quote. That, along with many others, shows how older people have always bitched, nagged and complained about the upcoming generation. 


While I have many faults, one thing I don't do is bitch, nag, or complain about the upcoming generations. Not only because I don't think it's fair to them (After all, if they are so bad, doesn't the previous generation deserve some of the blame for raising them?) but I think it's a cliche that oh, 95% of people fall into.  I try to think for myself on all issues, and I try not to fall into cliches. In fact, if I personally think the same way as everyone else does and I can't express it aside from using a popular cliche, I try to reevaluate what I'm feeling. 


So many of us seem to complain about the next generation, but virtually none of us understand that it's been happening since the dawn of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment