Monday, May 6, 2019

Comparing yourself to others

I have many faults, but one of my bigger ones is that I compare myself to others. I'll see someone post something on Facebook and I'll think-"I wish I was there" or "I wish I had that." It's strange, because sometimes I'll be envious of people having things that I already enjoy. Example-someone goes to a baseball game, I'll have moments of jealousy, even though I'm a season ticket holder to both the Florida Gators baseball team and a partial season ticket holder to the Tampa Rays. Someone posts about their new car-I'll have a moment-even though both of my cars are pretty new. Someone goes out to dinner-yup, you know what I'm going to say-even if I've gone to that restaurant or "better" restaurants.

I get it and I agree that comparison is the thief of joy and lead to ingratitude. Believe me, I know I much to be thankful for and don't deserve any of it. Comparison to others is also a losing battle-you tend to judge yourself at your worst and compare yourself to an unrealistic version of others. Luckily, the moments I have usually pass quickly and I get back to enjoying my life. But like everyone else, I am human and have all the weaknesses that come with that condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment