Wednesday, May 29, 2019

College bribery scandal

I'm not saying what Lori Laughlin did was right. In fact, I do think she needs to pay some sort of debt to society for it. However I am so disturbed by the hate I'm seeing online towards her. No, she shouldn't do time in prison. At all. She doesn't deserve to have her face splashed over the tabloids like she's Charles Manson.

A lot of the hate she is getting isn't because of what she did. After all, that sort of thing happens all the time and if you think your favorite celebrities don't get special attention or treatment, than you are  either incredibly naive or sort of stupid. A big reason people don't like her is because of jealousy. She's rich, successful, was on TV (though I never saw her show) and people love to see celebrities like her fall.

When asked about steroids in baseball, Joe Torre said "I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why people do it." To be totally honest, if you were her and had to make the choices she made, you don't know what you would do. You are generally only as virtuous as your options.

No comments:

Post a Comment