Thursday, May 16, 2019

Seat belt laws

About six years ago on New Years Eve I was in a car accident. I wasn't drinking, actually it was during the day and someone hit me while trying to get on the highway. 

Good news: the dog, and I, are still alive and it led to my conversion to the LDS church. One of the first blogs I posted told the story. I recently told a friend of mine that I was against mandatory seat belt laws, and he said "But you were in a car accident,  you should be for them." Actually, just because I choose to do something to keep me safe doesn't mean I would demand everyone do the same. Same with smoking cigarettes. I don't smoke because I think it's dangerous and unhealthy-just like not wearing your seat belt. 

Seat belt shouldn't be mandatory. If you choose not to wear one, you accept that getting into a car accident might lead to your death-and you pay the price for not wearing one. Choosing to wear a seat belt or not wear one doesn't effect anyone else on the road, so it's nothing like driving drunk or driving high either. The other uncomfortable truth? Just having a law demanding that everyone wears seat belts doesn't actually stop people from not wearing seat belts. 

Your life is your responsibility. The state shouldn't fine you or tell you how to live. Seat belt laws aren't going anywhere and I accept that, but no, they shouldn't exist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment