Friday, September 25, 2015

Album of the weekend

Godsmack-The Other Side

Bit of a sad story to this one. My wife and I went to see Godsmack at an acoustic show in Manchester NH. Three days before that, Dimebag Darrell from Pantera was shot on stage by a deranged fan. It was one of the most intense and bittersweet concerts of my life. 

I actually think Godsmack is slightly overrated, but this album is still quite good. 

All of the songs have an intimacy that most unplugged albums do. Since so much of Godsmack has an electronic sound to it, I was hesitant to buy this one. 

"Running Blind" is the best song on the album. It's a very good description of how many of us feel when we are going through hard times. The other songs, "Keep Away", "Voices" and "Asleep" also translate quite well from plugged to unplugged. 

This is one of those albums you buy with trepidation but realize you are playing it much more that you thought you would. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment