Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Trump and the first amendment

Trump is a brillant businessman. You can't be that successful and be stupid or incompetent. 

Shame he's so delusional.

First off, Trump has every right to run for president. He has every right to say what he wants. Telling him to "shut up" or trying to censor him is just as awful as the things that come out of his mouth. 

I am a radical on free speech, in fact, it's one of the main reasons I'm a card carrying member in the ACLU. When hothouse college flowers demand for speakers to "shut up" it's abhorrent. It's also disturbing, 

Yes, I know that the first amendment only restricts governments from censoring speech, but most colleges follow it in theory. The brilliant Alan Dershowitz has written wonderful legal essays on "the spirit" of free speech and how important it is. 

Back to Trump. 

His ideas repulse me. But I don't make the rules. You should be able to argue and debate with him. If you can't do that, you should ignore him. Only weak or stupid people tell him to "shut up." That's basically admitting to the world that you are too stupid to rebut his claims and fall back on fifth grade behavior. 

Again, I am no fan of Trump. I'm libertarian but I almost always vote republican. I view both parities as useless, but I view not voting as immoral and spitting on those who died for your right to vote. 

I also think libertarians are rather useless. I'm not called a "true" libertarian because I'm pro life. Odd that a party of individuals would expect lockstep conformity on hot button issues....given that I agree with 90% of their party platform.  

No comments:

Post a Comment