Monday, August 10, 2015

Motives


Recently a friend made a donation to a “Go Fund Me” page. I thought it was a sweet thing to do, but why he did it threw me off a bit. “I did it for a very selfish reason. It makes me feel better about myself”. Direct quote.

Does the motive matter? I’d like to say that it does, but in reality, it doesn’t. It would be nice of him to donate out of sheer compassion-but that’s not how it works. The guy on the receiving end of the donation doesn’t care about the hearts of people who donate-he just wants the money. There is nothing wrong with that way of thinking, t’s how the world works.

Too often people focus on the motive instead of the outcome. Intentions don’t matter, results do. I'd rather your heart is dark and evil but you treat others with basic manners than you being a wonderful and compassionate soul who treats the people around them like garbage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment